CCMF Subsidy: Policy of Subsidization for Members of HKSCCM to Attend Local Courses Related to Acute and Critical Care Medicine
Endorsed in the 2013 AGM of HKSCCM on 8 December 2013
HKSCCM Members with active contribution to Society and its activities are welcome to apply for subsidy to attend local (Hong Kong) acute and critical care medicine-related courses. Please read the following statements together with the "Regulations of Nomination to Attend CME Activity" for more information.
This policy will be reviewed annually by the CCMF Executive Board and any change has to be endorsed in AGM or EGM of HKSCCM.
Definitions of terms:
Local courses: Educational courses that are held in Hong Kong or Macau
CCMF: Critical Care Medicine Foundation
HKSCCM: Hong Kong Society of Critical Care Medicine
Member of HKSCCM: Current members or expired members of less than 3 months with membership fees repaid
Active contribution: Within one year before application, being speaker/ chairman of scientific symposium/ tutorial; submission of article/ presentation file/ case report to HKSCCM website; being a committee member or documented helper of courses/ symposium organized by HKSCCM
Approved courses: Courses pre-approved by CCMF that qualify for subsidization
Days: Working days from Monday to Friday
According to the constitution of the CCMF clause 1.3.1“To contribute funds to support activities for the exchange and dissemination of critical care medicine knowledge with local and overseas academia and healthcare institutions”, this policy statement is formulated to regulate the subsidization for members of HKSCCM to attend local courses related to critical care medicine.
Formation of CCMF subsidy approval committee:
The CCMF subsidy approval Committee (committee) comprises five members, including the Executive Board chairman (i.e. the immediate past chairman), Council chairman, secretary, treasurer, plus one other member from the Executive Board.
For pre-approved courses, an application is passed if there are three or more votes of the committee to support, or if no objection is received after posting for one week. See “Procedure for application of subsidy (for approved courses)”
For courses other than those being included in the attached list, the CCMF Executive Board will be involved in decision making. See “Procedure for application of subsidy (for non-approved courses)
Procedure for application of subsidy (for approved courses):
For courses included in the list of approved courses (see below), a member of HKSCCM can senda completed application form by E-mail to the Secretary of HKSCCM at least 21 days before the start of the course. If no E-mail reply is received within 5 days of application, the application form should send again to the Council chairman and treasurer.
Approval for subsidies will be considered by the committee according to the availability of fund and the number of applications received. Preference would be given to members that have active contribution in activities organized by HKSCCM. Members that have not applied for subsidies within the past year will also be given priority in selection of the awardees. The maximum amount of total subsidies awarded by the CCMF for each year would be HK$20,000, but will be subjected to review annually jointly by HKSCCM Council and the CCMF Executive Board and will not exceed 10% of total fund of CCMF in any circumstances.
After approval for subsidy is granted to a member of HKSCCM, the member should first pay for the course and attend the course as scheduled. After completion of the course, the member should send the receipt and attendance/completion certificate from the course to the Secretary of HKSCCM within two weeks of finishing the course. If no application for refund is received after the deadline, the approval for subsidy may be void subject to the discretion of the Executive Board.
For all the approved courses, the amount of subsidies will be granted according to the scheme as outlined below:
Original course fee
Minimum $2,000 or 80% of course fee, but cap at $2,500
Example of calculation:
Course fee (HK$) Reimbursement (HK$)
<=1999 same as course fee
2000 to 2500 2000
2501 to 3124 80% of course fee
A crossed cheque will be sent to the member upon receiving all necessary documents mentioned above.
For those who had received sponsorship from the CCMF, they will be expected to contribute back to HKSCCM from what they have learnt in the courses. This may be in the format of giving a talk, delivering tutorials, submitting articles to the Society web, etc.
Procedure for application of subsidy (for non-approved courses):
Any member interested in local courses/ conferences that are not in the approved list could send the details of the courses/ conferences to the Secretary of HKSCCM for consideration of addition to the list of approved courses. This special approval would require approval by the CCMF Executive Board
The Executive Board will decide to add the course / conference to the approved list if one-half or more of Board members vote to support or if no more than one-third of Board members object after posting for two weeks.
The committee will be informed of the decision of the Executive Board Final approval will need the committee to handle. It is demanded that for application for subsidies in this category, the applicant should submit all necessary documents at least ten weeks in advance.
The CCMF may also subsidize courses not listed above, please enquire. Please send completed application form via E-mail to the Secretary of HKSCCM. In case acknowledgement is not received within 5 working days, please re-send to the Council chairman and treasurer.
List for approved Acute and Critical Care Medicine Related Courses
1. Basic Lift Support (BLS) Provider Course - Hong Kong Association of Critical Care Nurses; Caritas Medical Center; Association of Hong Kong Nursing Staff
2. Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) Provider Course - Hong Kong Association of Critical Care Nurses; Caritas Medical Center; Association of Hong Kong Nursing Staff
3. Advanced Difficult Airway Management Workshop for Nurses (ADAM-N) - The Institute of Clinical Simulation, North District Hospital; Hong Kong College of Anesthesiologists
4. Nursing Intervention of Clinical Emergencies (NICE) Workshop - The Institute of Clinical Simulation, North District Hospital; Hong Kong College of Anesthesiologists
5. Critical Care Nephrology Course for Health Care Profession - Department of Intensive Care, Pamela Youde Nethersole Eastern Hospital
6. Critical Care Respiratory Course - Department of intensive care, Pamela Youde Nethersole Eastern Hospital
7. Inter-Facility and Critical Transport Medicine Course (ICCTM) - Dept of Emergency Medical Services, University of Hawaii; Alice Ho Miu Ling Nethersole Hospital Charity Foundation
8. Trauma Nursing Core Course - Emergency Nursing Association
9. Advanced Trauma Life Support (Provider) Course - Emergency Nursing Association
10. Pediatric Advanced Life Support (Provider) Course (PALS) - Association of Hong Kong Nursing Staff
11. Infectious Disease Courses - Department of Microbiology, The University of Hong Kong
12. Postgraduate Diploma in Advanced Nursing Practice (Intensive Care Nursing) - HKU SPACE
13. Professional Certificate Renal Nursing - HKU SPACE
14. Postgraduate Diploma in Advanced Nursing Practice (Enterostomal Therapy Nursing) - HKU SPACE
15. Clinical Toxicology Worshop- AED of Pamela Youde Nethersole Eastern Hospital; AED of Queen Mary Hospital; Hong Kong Poison Information Centre
16. BASIC Course- Department of Anaesthesia & Intensive Care, the Chinese University of Hong Kong
17. Mechanical Ventilation (Beyond BASIC)- Department of Anaesthesia & Intensive Care, the Chinese University of Hong Kong
18. Asian Intensive Care- Department of Anaesthesia & Intensive Care, the Chinese University of Hong Kong
19. Ultrasound Life Support Basic Level 1 Provider Course- Hong Kong College of Emergency Medicine; World Interactive Network Focused On Critical Ultrasound (WINFOCUS)
20. Research Foundations Workshop Hong Kong- ANZICS Clinical Trials Group; International Forum of Acute Care Trialists (InFACT); Intensive Care Research Coordinator Interest Group (IRCIG).
21. USG Guided Vascular Access and DVT Course - Hong Kong College of Emergency Medicine; World Interactive Network Focused On Critical Ultrasound (WINFOCUS)
22. BASIC Patient Safety Course - Department of Anesthesia & Intensive Care, CUHK.
23. Emergency X-Ray Interpretation for Health Care Professional - A&E Training Centre, Ruttonjee & Tang Siu Kin Hospital.
24. Certificate in Infection Control Course - Department of Microbiology, HKU; School of Nursing, HKU.
25. Rapid Assessment by Cardiac Echo plus Critical Care Ultrasound (RACE Plus)- Nepean Institiute of Critical Care Education & Research of Australia; HK College of Emergency Medicine; Department of Anesthesia of Queen Elizabeth Hospital.